Jerusalem Road Area. Cohasset was first seen by Europeans in 1614, when Captain John Smith
explored the coast of New England
. The area was first settled in 1670 and became a town separate from Hingham
Previously, what is today the town of Cohasset was known as Hingham's Second Parish.
The town's name came from the Algonquian
word "Conahasset", meaning "long rocky place". Much of the land was originally granted to the "Conahasset Partners".
© Cape Cod Aerial Photography